Bad Luck with Zebra danio Breeding

Dr Peter Cattin p.cattin at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Oct 22 15:02:48 EST 2001

Hi John,

You are getting a good bit of  advice from all around the place.  For
my tuppence worth, I would suggest the following. Your breeding
tank should only be a litre or so or the females will our run the
males. You need a screen 3 - 4 mm porosity) to allow the eggs to
fall out of the main body of water, away from the adults, or they will
be eaten very quickly. A couple of males to 3-4 females works well.
Remember the ovarian cycle of the females is about a week so
don't try to re-spawn females inside 7 days. If you want to get real
techo, elevate the water of the fish 2 degrees for 2 days pre spawn
i.e. from 26 degrees C to 28 degrees C using a standard water
bath.  This makes a huge difference especially to reluctant
spawners such as some of the strains and ENU mutagenised
females. Ensure good water quality and a good live feed - Artemia
is great, for a week before spawning.

I assure you - it all gets very simple and routine after a bit!!!!

Regards,

Peter Cattin

--
Peter Cattin PhD