Zebrafish (what else?)

Smith, Michael MFS3K at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Tue Sep 4 10:06:30 EST 2001

I am putting together a short Advanced Topics in Immunology
course on the use of zebrafish as a model organism.  I started out
knowing absolutely nothing about zebrafish and now know a slight
bit more. The ZFIN site is an excellent resource.

After pouring through the literature I still have a few (OK, a lot)
questions that I haven't been able to find answers to.  I'm hoping
someone can provide some of these answers or at least point to
someone who can.

Since we are immunologists, obviously we are interest in blood
cells. I haven't found anything where folks have isolated different
populations (i.e. T cells, B cells, macrophages) of cells from the
blood of zebrafish.  Is this technically feasible and where might I
find some info on it?  Seems like all the papers I can find (Zon's) do
whole embryo staining.

With all the great work that has been done identifying genes in
zebrafish, I've been very surprised that I can't find anything about
the NF-kB family of transcription factors or members of the Toll-like
receptor families.  Both have been very extensively studied in
Drosophila development and are all the rage in folks (like myself)
studying the innate immune response to bacteria.  Have I just
missed something or is this a potentially hot new area for studies
with zebrafish?

As I said, any insights or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Mike Smith

ATG ATT AAA GAA TCT ATG ATT ACT CAT

NOTICE: New area code starting June 1st

Michael Smith, PhD
Assistant Professor
University of Virginia
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Web Page: www.people.virginia.edu/~mfs3k
Mailing Address:
Lane Rd.
Building MR4, Room 1031