Museum of Science and Industry

Patricia.Ward at msichicago.org Patricia.Ward at msichicago.org
Tue Sep 18 17:45:00 EST 2001

Hello,

I am writing from the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.
We are developing an exhibit on genetics and I am wondering if
anyone could verify a couple of pieces of information that I'd like to
include in the exhibit.

As part of a genetic comparison of different species, I'd like to
provide estimates of the number of genes and the percent
homology with humans. I've seen estimates of the number of
zebrafish genes at about 50,000 (from a publication in 1997) and
wonder if this is still considered to be true or if this estimate has
changed.

Also, wondering about a figure of 85% homology with humans
(based on analysis of 831 genes only) and wonder if anyone can
direct me to any additional information.

Thank you,
Patricia Ward

Patricia L. Ward, Ph.D.
Department of Science and