zebra fish in California

Wing, Kate kwing at nrdc.org
Mon Aug 12 17:26:35 EST 2002

I am concerned about the response in the research community to
our efforts on transgenic fish in California. It has never been our
intention to prohibit laboratory research on transgenic fish. We
have focused on aquaculture facilities, where the production of
large number of transgenic fish could pose a threat to native fish
populations if the facilities did not have proper containment
measures in place.

At the beginning of this year, when we first drafted California SB
1525, we asked the University of California to review the bill to
make sure research institutions would be covered by the research
exemption in the bill. UC approved that language. We went back to
researchers and aqauculturists to work on the definition of
"transgenic" so that it would be very narrow and not include any
and all genetic modification procedures. Eventually, the bill was
revised so that instead of a ban it was a 2 year moratorium on
permitting aquaculturists to raise these fish until DFG had the
chance to review existing regulations and see if they were
sufficient. This is the concept we are presenting to the California
Fish & Game Commission at the end of August. The bill itself is no
longer moving.

Under California law, the Fish & Game Commission has the
authority to regulate which species a registered aquaculturist may
raise. To the best of our knowledge--and we have contacted and
been contacted by many folks in fish genetics--no registered
aquaculturists are currently raising transgenic fish, and very few
research facilities working with transgenic fish are registered
aquaculturists. If the Fish & Game Commission adopts this
moratorium it would only continue their current course of action, as
they have never approved a transgenic fish in the past.

This proposed moratorium does not extend the jurisdiction of the
Fish & Game Commission to any research where they have not
previously issued permits. It is true that we are concerned about
the large-scale production of transgenic zebrafish, or other
ornamentals, in open facilities. California law is unclear on that
issue right now, and some have interpreted this to mean that you
can raise any fish you want however you want as long as it is not
for food. I think it is only appropriate for the Fish & Game
Commission to consider this discrepancy in the law and make
recommendations to the state legislature about how to address it.
Until the laws are changed, however, zebrafish raised in closed
systems are not considered aquaculture.

We will have the opportunity to craft the wording of the moratorium
on August 29-30, when the Commission considers it. If there are
things we can do to alleviate the concerns of researchers, please
let me know so that I can try and address them.

Thank you,

Kate Wing
Kate Wing
Ocean Program