tissue shrinkage

PC 1340 angieg at rndsystems.com
Mon Dec 9 03:41:43 EST 2002

Hello everyone!

I am currently performing whole mount in situ hybridization on 18
somite and 24 hour zebrafish embryos. I am using anti-DIG
conjugated to Alkaline Phosphatase as the secondary antibody
and BCIP/NBT as the substrate for the color reaction. When the
color reaction is stopped and I look at the embryos to analyze
them, I notice that the embryos have shrunk, or are dehydrated. Is
it possible that the type of label I am using is causing this? What
else could it be? What can I do to prevent it, if anything, and is
there any way to reverse the "shrinkage"? If there is anyone that
has any hints or advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it!!! I have
been searching for answers and haven't been able to find any help
yet. Thank you!