fungus in tank system

Christina Quasarano ceq at bu.edu
Mon Dec 9 13:00:07 EST 2002

I am having a big problem with fungus in the tanks system I use.  I
have shut off the unoccupied tanks to avoid contamination in them.
The problem exists in the tanks with the fish.  There is growth
behind the plates in the back of the tank.  These plates are
designed to keep the fish from flowing out with the water, but allow
waste etc to flow out underneath it.  The growth does seem to
focus/accumulate around the area at the back of the tank where
the waste and dirty water flow under the plate. It is white in color
and appears in siphonous clumps when observed under a
dissecting microscope. I have heard that methylene blue can be
used to eliminate the fungus.  I am unsure of the concentration to
use and the side effects of this (both good and bad, other than
eliminating the fungus). If anyone has any suggestions or ideas,
they would be greatly appreciated!  thank you!

Sincerely, Christina Quasarano

Christina Quasarano
Research Assistant,
Chemical Hygiene Officer