Problems with Zebrafish breeding

Corinne Renier crenier at leland.stanford.edu
Tue Feb 12 16:39:45 EST 2002

Hi,

I've tried to cross zebrafish but without any success. My founders
are 16 months old ( I also tried to cross young adults that are just
4 months with the same results). Fish are kept in a 14 h light/10 h
dark, and are fed twice a day with frozen brine shrimp. I don't
believe they are overfed. I set up the crosses in the late afternoon
using breeding trap (white mouse cage with the steel mesh into a
clear one) fill with fish water + fragment of plastic greenery. The
whole trap being placed on a black surface. I'm very carefull when
netting the fish to avoid any stress. The next morning I wait until
1h30 after the lights on to check for the breeding. What am I doing
wrong? Does anybody has suggestions for efficient breeding
procedure?

Thanks,
Corinne