Computer Biologist

Kerstin Jekosch kj2 at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Jul 3 07:22:25 EST 2002

Computer Biologist

The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is one of the leading
genomics centres in the world, dedicated to analysing and
understanding genomes. One of the organisms being sequenced is
the zebrafish (Danio rerio), an important model organism in
analysing vertebrate development and gene function.

An opening has become available for a senior bioinformatician to
help us improve the sequence analysis and to develop the system
and strategy by which we assemble zebrafish data and present it
to the community.

Based in the informatics group at the Sanger Institute, your primary
duties will involve annotation of zebrafish clones. Other key duties
will involve integration of new datasets into the analysis pipeline
and running whole genome analysis pipelines.

Ideally, you will have a degree (preferably a PhD) in a suitable
biological discipline and will be comfortable with working in a
computer-based environment.  A knowledge of UNIX and biological
database systems is desirable and familarity with perl or other
scripting languages would be advantageous. We would also
welcome applications from candidates with a strong background in
zebrafish biology who would be keen to develop their computer
skills. Commitment to science and a team spirit are important.

To apply please write with your CV and current salary details
quoting reference 401 to:

The Personnel Officer,
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute,
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus,
Hinxton,
Cambridge,
CB10 1SA

Closing date: 19th July 2002

For further information, please refer to our web-site
www.sanger.ac.uk, any informal enquiries may be addressed to
myself (kj2 at sanger.ac.uk).