Genetics of Bettas

"Pratt, Michael La Jolla michael.pratt at pfizer.com
Tue Mar 26 12:37:44 EST 2002

Hi,

I've been focusing on pigment cell biology in bettas for quite some
time. You can check out some pictures of fin tissue at
www.zoologicalsciences.com.

There ARE wild splendens in Thailand. Imbellis and splendens
should be the listed as subspecies of each other. It is thought that
B. smaragdina crossed to imbellis/splendens produced the original
plakat fighter and then futher fertile crossings gave us the pure
colors.

The fighting trait is not present in wild splendens, but I can assure
you that they do exist. Please let me know if you have further
questions, I have a small fish farm dedicated to betta breeding.

Michael Pratt
Talisman Zoological Sciences, Inc.