Tour of WATER Institute before

Henry Tomasiewicz henryt at uwm.edu
Mon May 6 15:21:08 EST 2002

Individuals attending the 5th International Meeting on Zebrafish
Development and Genetics in Madison, Wisconsin from June 12-
16th, 2002 are cordially invited to tour the University of Wisconsin-
Milwaukee (UWM) Great Lakes WATER Institute and the Medical
College of Wisconsin Bioinformatics Resource Center (BRC).  A
limited number of openings are available for the tour.  Post-
docs who are getting ready to enter the job market are especially
encouraged to tour these facilities, as we will be advertising two
faculty positions for zebrafish researchers in the fall. Graduate
students interested in postdoctoral opportunities in developmental
toxicology, neurodegeneration, bioinformatics and genomics are
encouraged to visit, as there are numerous training opportunities
available.

The Wisconsin Aquatic Technology and Environmental Research
(WATER) Institute "conducts research, education and outreach to
provide a better understanding of the world's freshwater resources".
 (Think Marine Biology lab minus the salt!).  The WATER Institute
is  part of the University of Wisconsin System and has:  An NIEHS
 Marine and Freshwater Biomedical Sciences Center, State of the
Art Aquaculture Facility, Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) for
deep underwater exploration and other facilities for the studying
every aspect of freshwater resources.  For more information about
the WATER Institute visit our web site at  { HYPERLINK
"http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/GLWI/"
}http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/GLWI/ and  { HYPERLINK
"http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/MFB/"
}http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/MFB/.

The WATER Institute, BRC and ZFIN are collaborating in the
construction of comparative maps of the human, mouse, rat and
zebrafish genomes.     MCW's BRC and Human Molecular
Genetics Center (HMGC; { HYPERLINK "http://hmgc.mcw.edu/"
}http://hmgc.mcw.edu/) are using a variety  of genomic and
molecular genetic approaches to identify genes  differentially
expressed in cancers, in diabetic patients and during
development.  Tour the BRC state of the art microarray and
genomic facility. To find out more about the MCW's BRC visit our
web site at { HYPERLINK "http://brc.mcw.edu/."
}http://brc.mcw.edu/.

Individuals arriving at Milwaukee's Mitchell Airport on Tuesday June
 11th will be picked up by a shuttle and taken to their local hotel.
Those arriving on the morning of June 12th will be taken directly by
shuttle to the WATER Institute.

Tentative Schedule:
8:00 am		Continental Breakfast
9:00 am		Tour of the WATER Institute
11:30-12:30pm	Lunch
12:30-2:00 pm		Informal Talks by Investigators about the
WATER Institute and
BRC Facility

2:00pm		Depart for tour of the MCW BRC and microarray
Facility
2:30pm		Tour of the BRC etc
3:30pm		Depart for Madison
5:00pm 		Arrive in Madison

While everyone attending the Zebrafish meeting is invited to
tour the WATER Institute and MCW's BRC, a limited number
of spaces are available on first-come-first-taken basis, so
please make reservations ahead of time.  While we cannot
provide hotel accommodations, we can provide information
on hotels in the area. Contact Henry Tomasiewicz at
henryt at uwm.edu or 414-382-1746 for more information.
RSVP by May 25th, 2002.