"bad eggs" fish disease?

Freek van Eeden freek at hl99.niob.knaw.nl
Fri May 24 09:44:33 EST 2002

We recently got something in our aquarium which is really
frightening me. I was wondering whether there is anyone who has
some experience with the potential disease described below.

We have some fish which are laying eggs but the eggs turn bad
through epiboly, if they aren't dead the next day they usually are
extremely retarded/reduced and show overall necrosis. Only an
occasional embryo develops normally. Obviously we thought that
one of the media/incubators we are using were bad so we
systematically tested this. However, it turned out that it was fish
specific. Embryos of one cross were o.k. under all tested
conditions whereas the other cross gave the described phenotype
under all conditions. Several fish from different origins show this
effect, whereas other fish (swimming in water from the same
system) don't show the phenotype (yet).

Therefore I'm afraid that it may be contagious

My guess would be that the eggs are infected with some
aggressive bacterium or mould.  Of course I am very afraid to loose
precious fish, has anyone ever heard reports of such a disease?
Are there antibiotics that can be used to test whether it is an
infection?

Thanks for any help or advice
Freek
--