embryo contamination

Monica Woo monicaw at exploratorium.edu
Tue Nov 19 19:21:59 EST 2002

Hello all.

I am having trouble with contaminated embryos and would
appreciate any advice or information you might be able to provide.

We breed two sets of fish every night.  The temp of the z-mod is 26
C and the water bath for the breeding cages is 32 C.  We were
having problems with the eggs becoming fuzzy and moldy after a
few days. When we looked at them under a microscope, we could
see small protozoan-like creatures swimming around the inside of
the egg, presumably eating up the embryo.  This would happen
anywhere from day 2 to day 4.  Initially, we thought there was
some sort of contamination in the z-mod water we were using.  The
hose that we use to get the water from hadn't been cleaned out and
was full of all sorts of lovely creatures.  We stopped using the hose
and started using water from the z-mod that had been sterilized
from the UV filter already.  We would go a few days, but then the
mold would return along with the small protozoans. Initially, we
thought the small creatures were paramecium since we'd had
paramecium contamination in a rotifer culture that we maintain.

After still getting moldy, creature-filled embryos from the
supposedly sterile z-mod water, we started using DI water treated
with prime and baking soda to fill the mating cages to try to avoid
whatever seemed to be in the z-mod.  This morning, the embryos
from one mating cage were white and the embryos from the other
other mating cage were healthy.  When I looked at the white eggs
under a scope, they were full of the little creatures and already
getting fuzzy.  The protozoan-like creatures are round, swim
quickly w/ no obvious cilia and have a darker coloring.  They are
small enough that probably about a hundred could fit in one
embryo.  I may be able to take a photo of them if necessary.

Is this some sort of parasite that some of the fish might be
carrying? Whatever it is seems to be increasing as it usually took
a day or two for the eggs to get white and/or fuzzy.  Today, the
eggs in the breeding cage were only sitting in the water for a few
hours and were very degraded by the time I looked at them this
morning.  I also find it strange that one set of fish had healthy eggs
and the other set had moldy/dead ones.  That tells me it isn't
something in the water we're using, but something specific to
certain groups of fish?

Anyway, any help or advice you can provide regarding these issues
would be great.  Thanks in advance!

Monica

Life Sciences Lab Manager
Exploratorium