breeding zebrafish again

Greg Dutton duttong at ohsu.edu
Wed Oct 16 16:03:36 EST 2002

Hi again, I got a lot of great responses to my last e-mail (Breeding
zebrafish, Oct 15) about our difficulties breeding our fish, but I
realize that I need to be more specific.  We house our fish in 9 liter
tanks, with blue lids (to discourage algae growth) and constant
running water.  The water quality is pH 7, temp of 27-28C, and
500uS conductivity.  Males and females are housed separately.
They are fed brine shrimp twice a day.  To breed the fish we put 1
male and 1 female in a small (5Lx4Wx3H, inches) clear plastic
tank with an insert with slots for the eggs to fall through.  These
breeding tanks are separate, individual tanks and do not have water
flowing through them. Our system was installed last March by
Aquatic Habitats.  At the moment we have only strain of fish -
ABC, from Eugene, OR.  All of the fish we have in our system are
the offspring of the original batch of ABC we obtained from Eugene.
 Of note:  the water in our system is 27-28C and the water in the
breeding tanks reaches 24-25C during Thanks,

Greg
---