Breeding zebrafish

Jen Matthews jmatthews at zfin.org
Wed Oct 16 17:59:01 EST 2002

Hi Greg,

Here are a few suggestions that come to mind.

We generally feel that the fish do better when males and females
are housed together in stock tanks.

Try setting the fish up in small groups rather than individual
crosses. We typically set up AB's with 6-8 fish per crossing tank
(1.35 L). When we use this number of fish we can just randomly
transfer fish from a stock tank to the crossing tank without having
to sex them. We only set fish up in individual crosses (one male
and one female) when we are identifying mutants. The Aquatic
Habitat's crossing tanks are only about 700 mL, so I would
recommend cross two pairs per tank. Eggs are usually collected 2-
3 hours after the lights come on and the fish are then returned to
the stock tank.  Fish should not be left in the static tanks for any
longer than necessary.

You may want to try feeding a prepared diet once or twice daily in
addition to the brine shrimp. Our adult fish are fed four times a day.
Three of these feedings are a prepared diet mix (Hikari
Micropellets, Tetramin Flake and Argent Cyclop-eeze) and one
feeding of newly hatched (30 hour) brine shrimp. Each feeding is an
amount of food that can be completely consumed within 5 minutes.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or if problems
continue.

Very best regards, -Jen

Jennifer L. Matthews, DVM, PhD
Zebrafish International Resource Center
5274 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5274     <(()><
(541) 346-6028 ext. 14             <(()><
Fax (541) 346-6151
jmatthews at zfin.org