sperm freezing

May-Su YOU youms at imcb.a-star.edu.sg
Wed Apr 16 11:18:35 EST 2003

I am Maysu You, now working at IMCB (Institute of Molecular and Cell
Biology) in Singapore. We are now working on sperm
squeezing,freezing and in vitro fertilization of Zebrafish. We got around
90% of IVF successful rate when we used fresh sperm (from both
squeezed sperm and dissected testes) . So we moved to freezing step.
We tried two different cryoprotectants (methanol and BSMIS: Buffered
sperm motality inhibitor solution). After thawing, we cann't get any IVF
embryo. Therefore, we doubt about the freezing procedure which we
used at the moment. We also tried to observe the sperm, but even with
trypan blue, we are not sure wheather the sperm are live or dead.
According to the results,I think there are some questions to be
answered by whom has experties in this work

1.Maybe our freezing protocal is not totally correct (is there any critical
point that we didn't catch?)

2.How can we check the viability of the sperm? (we observed sperm
under 400 time magnification)

3. What will be the best way to fertilize eggs with frozen sperm. Your
help will give us a big improvement of our work.Thank you in advance.

Best regards

Maysu

Dr. May-Su YOU
Research Officer
Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology,
A*STAR building, 1 Research Link,
The National University of Singapore,
117604 Singapore
Republic of Singapore

Tel: (65) 68727092 (lab)
Fax: (65) 68727007
e-mail: youms at imcb.a-star.edu.sg

***NOTE THE CHANGED ADDRESS, EMAIL ADDRESS,
TELEPHONE AND FAX
NUMBERS***