Fish Facility

Christina Quasarano ceq at bu.edu
Mon Aug 25 12:27:00 EST 2003

Hello everyone,

Here at BU, my lab will possibly be expanding to a much larger facility.
We are encountering a few small problems in the process though.  Our
Administration is expressing their ideas of wanting this facility to house
ALL  aquatic facilities on the medical campus, including other fish and
aquatic species (frogs, turtles, etc etc).  They would also like to put the
facility under the control of the Lab Animal Science Center.  My
question is, how are your facilities run?  Do you allow different aquatic
species to share the same room? Washers? Water supply?  Do you
have a Lab Animal Center that is in charge of your facilities or is all
responiblity soley on the lab itself?  I know that any type of animal can
cross contaminate others.  We have many fears as to what could
happen by exposing our fish to other animals (and vice versa). I would
appreciate anyones opinion and experiences on this matter.  Thank
you very much!

Sincerely, Christina Quasarano

Christina Quasarano
Lab Manager <}}}><