Job ads

Gunnar Valdimarsson valdimar at cc.UManitoba.CA
Mon Dec 1 12:14:06 EST 2003

The University of Manitoba
Department of Zoology
Assistant Professor Tenure-Track Position in Cell Biology

The University of Manitoba's Department of Zoology invites
applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in
Eukaryote Cell Biology.  We seek to add a colleague who will develop
a strong independent research program in Cell Biology and teach in
our undergraduate and graduate programs. There is flexibility in the
specific sub-discipline research area, which could include, but is not
limited to, signal transduction, membrane biology, cell regulatory
mechanisms, mechanisms and regulation of gene expression,
organelle biology and cell differentiation. It is expected the successful
applicant will complement the current cell and developmental faculty to
help strengthen this area as one of the cornerstones in a broadly
based integrative Zoology department. Current research interests of
our faculty range from the molecular to ecosystem levels and include
physiological , ecological, evolutionary and systematic, organismal,
cellular and developmental biology areas.

Applicants must possess a PhD in a cell biology area with evidence of
strong research potential, and preferably have post-doctoral
experience. The successful applicant will be expected to establish an
independent, externally-funded research program, supervise graduate
students, teach in our undergraduate and graduate programs, and
fulfill some committee/administrative responsibilities.  New faculty are
initially given a reduced teaching load. The salary is commensurate
with qualifications and experience. Startup support to help establish a
research program is available. Additional external funding opportunities
such as Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) may be available. The
appointment will begin July 1, 2004 or soon thereafter.

The successful applicant will join a collegial research-oriented
department that offers graduate and undergraduate education covering
a wide spectrum of areas in animal biology. The Department has a
variety of research support facilities that include: aquatic (including
transgenic containment) and terrestrial animal holding facilities, field
stations, preparative and analytical equipment, and an electron
microscope unit. There are also opportunities for research interaction
on campus with various university biological and biomedical
departments, as well as with various Provincial and Federal
Government Departments and laboratories that are engaged in cell
biology research and possibly the Biotechnology industry.

Winnipeg is an affordable, cosmopolitan city with a rich ethnic diversity,
an active arts community and a wide array of outstanding restaurants.
Outdoor activities and nature are close at hand within and outside the
city. Detailed information about our programs and research strengths
as well as the University and city of Winnipeg can be found at our web
site (www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/science/zoology/zoohome.htm) or by
contacting the Head.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians
and permanent residents will be given priority.  Applicants should send
a curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy, a summary of
research interests, including an outline of their proposed research
program with long-term objectives, and the names and addresses
(including e-mail) of three referees to the address below.  Application
materials and letters of reference will be handled in accordance with
the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. (Manitoba).
The closing date for completed applications is Jan 15, 2004. The
University of Manitoba encourages applications from qualified women
and men, including members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples,
and persons with disabilities

Dr. Erwin Huebner
Head, Department of Zoology
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB, Canada, R3T 2N2
ehuebnr at cc.umanitoba.ca

Further information about the position can be obtained from Erwin
Huebner at 204-474-9245 or fax 204-474-7588.

The University of Manitoba
Department of Zoology
Assistant Professor Tenure-Track Position in Physiology

The University of Manitoba's Department of Zoology invites
applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Animal
Physiology. We seek to add a colleague who will develop a strong
independent research program in Molecular, Cellular or Organismal
Physiology and teach in our undergraduate and graduate programs.
There is flexibility in the specific physiology research area, however
research interest and strength in vertebrate or invertebrate
endocrinology and/or neurobiology would be an asset and complement
the current physiological expertise in the department. It is expected the
successful applicant will complement the current faculty and help to
maintain this area as one of the cornerstones in a broadly based
integrative Zoology department. Current research interests of our
faculty range from the molecular to ecosystem levels and include
physiological, ecological, evolutionary and systematic, organismal,
cellular and developmental biology areas.

Applicants must possess a PhD, preferably have post-doctoral
experience, with evidence of strong research potential in an area of
physiology. The successful applicant will be expected to establish an
independent, externally-funded research program, supervise graduate
students, teach in our undergraduate and graduate programs, and
fulfill some committee/administrative responsibilities. New faculty are
initially given a reduced teaching load. The salary is commensurate
with qualifications and experience. Startup support to help establish a
research program is available. Additional external funding opportunities
such as Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) may be available. The
appointment will begin July 1, 2004  or soon thereafter.

The successful applicant will join a collegial research-oriented
department that offers graduate and undergraduate education covering
a wide spectrum of areas in Zoology. The Department has a variety of
research support facilities that include: aquatic (including transgenic
containment) and terrestrial animal holding facilities, field stations,
preparative and analytical equipment, and an electron microscope unit.
There are also opportunities for research interaction on campus with
various university biological and biomedical departments, as well as
with various Provincial and Federal Government Departments and
laboratories that are engaged in physiological research and possibly

ehuebnr at cc.umanitoba.ca

Further information about the position can be obtained from Erwin
Huebner at 204-474-9245 or fax 204-474-7588.

Gunnar Valdimarsson
Associate Professor
Departments of Zoology, and Biochemistry & Medical Genetics
Duff Roblin Building, 190 Dysart Rd.
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada R3T 2N2