A question about breeding

Eric Herbst erich at aquaticeco.com
Fri Dec 12 11:39:45 EST 2003

Hi Greg,

Are you breeding pairs or groups of fish?  When breeding groups of
fish, sex ratios of 3:2, 2:1 or even 3:1 (females:males) can help reduce
the stress (too much "attention" from the males) on the females.
Breeding pairs of fish is particularly stressful on the female. Two things
you may want to try to reduce some of this stress are: 1) Pairing
females with males of equal or smaller size. 2) Providing some sort of
refuge (e.g. faux aquatic plants) for the female in the breeding tank.

As Christian Lawrence pointed out, taking fish off the system for
breeding can subject them to changes in water conditions/stress.  We
recently came out with a new, larger version of our 4-piece breeder
tank (tank, insert, removable divider, and lid).  Like the previous
version, the insert can be placed in our 3.0-L tank allowing for the
breeding of fish on the system.  The new version also allows for two
inserts to be placed in our 10-L tanks.  The removable divider can be
used to separate males and females until you are ready for the fish to
spawn and can help reduce the stress (on the female) of being chased
by the male for hours prior to spawning, when crossing pairs.  We also
include a plastic plant that provides refuge and spawning substrate
with our breeder tanks.

I hope this is of some help.

Eric

Aquatic Habitats (A Division of Aquatic Eco-Systems, Inc.)
Tel: 407 886 7575
Fax:  407 886 1223
Email: erich at aquaticeco.com
www.aquatichabitats.com