Postdoctoral Investigator, Woods Hole

Mark E. Hahn mhahn at whoi.edu
Mon Dec 15 10:43:41 EST 2003

Postdoctoral Investigator Position
Biology Department
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Woods Hole, MA  U.S.A.

I am seeking a postdoctoral investigator to participate in NIH-funded
research to examine the function of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor
(AHR) signaling pathway and its role in vertebrate development and in
the developmental toxicity of chlorinated dioxins and related chemicals.
The research will involve one or more of the following approaches:
promoter analysis using transgenic zebrafish, functional knock-down of
gene expression in zebrafish, molecular cloning of AHR and other
genes in Fugu and medaka, in situ hybridization, cell transfection, and
functional genomic analyses in fish and in mammalian cells.  (See
representative references listed below.) Molecular biology experience
is essential.  Previous experience in one or more of the following is
desirable: zebrafish developmental biology; microinjection of fish eggs;
transgenic fish technologies; comparative or functional genomics; in
situ hybridization, culture of mammalian cells.

Start date:  As soon as possible, but no later than March 1, 2004. One
year appointment, possible extension for up to 3 years. Salary: Starting
at ~$45,300 per year, depending on previous experience.

Education required:  Ph.D. in biochemistry, molecular biology,
toxicology, developmental biology, genomics or related field.  Less
than 4 years postdoctoral experience.

For further information, contact:  Mark E. Hahn, Ph.D., Biology
Department, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Redfield 338; MS-
32, 45 Water Street, Woods Hole, MA  02543;  Phone 508-289-3242;
Fax 508-457-2134; mhahn at whoi.edu
http://www.whoi.edu/science/B/people/mhahn/hahnm.html

To apply, go to  http://jobs.whoi.edu/cgi-bin/user/funcer?eng&15&134

Representative publications:

Hahn, M.E. (2002) Aryl hydrocarbon receptors: Diversity and evolution.
Chem.-Biol. Interact. 141: 131-160.

Karchner, S.I., Franks, D.G., Powell, W.H., and Hahn, M.E. (2002)
Regulatory interactions among three members of the vertebrate aryl
hydrocarbon receptor family: AHR repressor, AHR1, and AHR2. J. Biol.
Chem. 277: 6949-6959.

Karchner, S.I., Powell, W.H., and Hahn, M.E. (1999) Identification and
functional characterization of two highly divergent aryl hydrocarbon
receptors (AHR1 and AHR2) in the teleost Fundulus heteroclitus.
Evidence for a novel subfamily of ligand-binding basic helix-loop-helix
Per-ARNT-Sim (bHLH-PAS) factors. J. Biol. Chem. 274: 33814-33824.

Hahn, M.E., Karchner, S.I., Shapiro, M.A., and Perera, S.A. (1997)
Molecular evolution of two vertebrate aryl hydrocarbon (dioxin)
receptors (AHR1 and AHR2) and the PAS family. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.
U.S.A. 94: 13743-13748.