Raising larval fish

Eric Herbst erich at aquaticeco.com
Mon Feb 3 18:05:11 EST 2003

I apologize if similar questions have been posed previously. Our server has
been down and I have only received the latest posting on this string.

Hi Greg,

Are these control groups of fish from the same line of broodstock you were
using previously? Have you checked your water quality?  What about your
feed? How old is it? Have you supplied the babies with live feeds
(paramecia and Artemia nauplii)?  You may get increased survival by
providing paramecia for first feeding (along with the artificial diet) and up
until the majority of the fish are consistently feeding on Artemia nauplii.
You may want to try providing Artemia nauplii a little earlier (around 15
days after hatch).

Eric Herbst M.S.
Staff Biologist
Aquatic Habitats (A division of Aquatic Eco-Systems)
Email: erich at aquaticeco.com
Tel: (407) 886-7575
Fax: (407) 886-1223
www.aquatichabitats.com