pH and Conductivity of water

David Lains david at zfin.org
Mon Jan 13 16:05:42 EST 2003

Hello Christina

To some extent water chemistry parameters are a personal
opinion.  The fish will breed in a wide range of water chemistry.
With every system being different what works in one systems
doesn't work as well in another.  My preference is to provide as
stable of an environment as possible.

I like to keep our systems in-between a pH of 7.4 to 8.2 with a
conductivity of 500 uS.  It is also important to keep your water well
buffered.  I keep the alkalinity or carbonate hardness (kH) in the 80
to 120 ppm as CaCO3 or 5 to 7 degrees kH range.  You can
maintain you alkalinity with Sodium bicarbonate (Baking soda) or
my preference is Aragonite.  I add aragonite to our fluidized sand
filters as the buffer and dose a salt solution of Ca, Mg, K, Na
chloride salts to 500 uS.

I keep the alkalinity and pH on the higher end as it keeps the water
quality parameters in a steady state.  If the pH falls below ~7.4 in
our systems it will continue to drop rapidly (over several days).
When it is in the 7.8 pH range it is steady for weeks.

Please feel free to email or call me if you have any other questions.

Best Fishes
David Lains <}}}><
Research Assistant
Zebrafish International Resource Center