pH and Conductivity of water

Peter Cattin p.cattin at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jan 13 17:00:40 EST 2003

Dear Christina,

I have been following your questions over the past few weeks and
have responded to one of them regarding the appearance of fungus
in your AHAB system.  Your last question on pH and conductivity
provides clarity to some of your earlier points and problems.

David Lains comments on the personal nature of water quality is
correct but of course the fish have to agree with you and I am sure
that is what David meant in his response.  My preference is for pH
7.2 - 7.5, conductivity around 300 - 400 and temperature about 7.65
- 7.8. Stability of water is at least as important as arbitrary
preferences. Our fish are long living and fecund and that is all we
want from them.

But to put this last question of yours into the context of your other
questions, I would strongly suggest you take all of the tanks out of
your system and thoroughly clean them in very hot water and with
a scrubbing brush.   Maintain your recently adopted decision to
reduce the of dry feed and increase the quantity of Artemia fed.
One feed of each a day will be heaps.  Don't feed more than the
fish can consume in 60 - 90 seconds.

The fungus will be there because of overfeeding and under cleaning.
The tanks need to be physically cleaned about once a month or
so.

The next step is to increase the conductivity of your water.   You
must be putting a lot of RO or distilled water into your system to
get the low conductivity you have. The water can't be stable or
"healthy" with this quality of water.  I imagine your response to the
fungus has been to add more and more pure water more frequently.
 Change about 10-15% per week and maintain the conductivity at a
higher level.  To do this don't simply throw calcium and magnesium
carbonates at the water as this will make it too hard.  Rather,
reduce the amount and/or purity of the water you are adding.

Hope this helps.

sincerely,

Peter Cattin
--
Peter Cattin PhD
Department of Molecular Medicine & Pathology

Tel: +64-9-373-7599 xtn. 86373 or 87719
Fax: +64-9-373-7492