Raising larval fish

Peter Cattin p.cattin at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jan 22 18:05:59 EST 2003

Dear Greg,

The problem of fry survival is one we experienced and dealt with a
few years ago.  What happens is that the fry die if they aren't
successful in making the transition from feeding endogenously on
their yolk to feeding exogenously on artificial or live feed.  This
period of high mortality occurs at day 14 in our temperature and
water quality environment.  The timing is that precise you can set
your watch by it.

We found that it was necessary to substantially improve the
prevailing systems of fry rearing which generally relied on placing
the fry in water, usually static, perhaps with some methylene blue,
and providing feed.  After a long period of trial and error, we
developed and patented a fry rearing system we have call the
MaxHatch Nursery.  The survival rate of the MaxHatch Nursery was
over 60% in trials we conducted and was

100% on several occasions. This was achieved rearing a range of
fry including mutants and different strains.

This hugely improved survival rate means that we se a wider range
of phenotypes when conducting a screen.  It means that the
"interesting" but numerically few variants that are typically the first
to die have a much better chance of surviving.  The net effect of this
is that you are able to achieve the desired results more quickly
because you have not only have more material to look at but that
material is more diverse.

Please get back to me if you require further information.

Regards,
Peter Cattin

Peter Cattin PhD
Department of Molecular Medicine & Pathology
Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences
The University of Auckland
Park Road, Grafton, Auckland.
Private Bag 92019, Auckland,