Fly problem

Jen Matthews jmatthews at zfin.org
Wed Jul 2 10:57:48 EST 2003

Hi Maggie,

Is your problem with the common house fly (Musca domestica) or with
one of the many aquatic or semiaquatic species of flies. If you can
identify the type of fly you are dealing with, you may be able to better
direct your control efforts. One common fly species found near aquatic
environments is the moth fly or drain fly. I've included some information
below. good luck, -Jen

Moth Flies Moth flies (Subfamily Psychdidae) have many names
including drain flies, filter flies and sewage flies. The widespread
subfamily Psychdidae contains four genera with over 50 aquatic and
semiaquatic species in North America. Adults range in size from 1.6 =96
6.4 mm. They may be yellow to brown to black in color. The adults are
hairy and hold their wings roof-like over their bodies when resting.
During daylight, they will often be found resting on walls near drains.
They are most active during the evening and may be attracted to light.
Moth flies do not bite.

Moth fly larvae are rarely seen because they live in drain areas or other
protected locations. Most larvae are cylindrical or slightly flattened and=

are usually less than 5 mm in length. The larvae entirely lack prolegs
and body segments are usually subdivided into annuli. The thorax is
not distinctly thicker than rest of body. They often have a pale
underside with a darker head and tail, and dark bands (dorsal plates)
across their backs.

Both larvae and adult forms feed on microorganisms, fine detritus and
other decaying material. Adult female moth flies most often lay their
eggs in masses on the surface of gelatinous films found in drains and
sewers or other dark, moist areas. Adults live about two weeks. Moth
flies are not strong fliers and cannot fly long distances. Most
infestations originate in the area where the adults are found. Any
aerosol or spray insecticide will easily kill the adults but these are not=

recommended in aquaculture facilities. For effective and long-term
control, the breeding sites must be found and removed. Inspect drains
and other moist areas for potential breeding sites. Drains can often be
cleaned with over-the-counter cleaners or diluted bleach followed by a
hot water rinse. If this is not successful, mechanical cleaning with a sti=
ff
brush may be required to remove any film lining the drain.

Jennifer L. Matthews, DVM, PhD
Zebrafish International Resource Center
5274 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5274     <(()><
(541) 346-6028 ext. 14             <(()><
Fax (541) 346-6151
jmatthews at zfin.org