Fly problem

Dallas Weaver deweaver at gte.net
Mon Jul 7 10:09:36 EST 2003

Adding to Jen Matthews comments :

If they are sludge fly's, you may be better off leaving them alone as the
larva are cleaning your system and don't impact zebra fish.  If you
eliminate the sludge flys and don't eliminate or continuously clean the
areas where they are now growing, you can grow organisms to
consume that organic material that are more problematic with respect
to your zebra fish health (opportunistic pathogenic bacteria and
protozoa's).

The other option is to spend more time cleaning. However, always
keep in mind that all recycle systems are really full ecologies and the
fly's are just another component.

Dallas

Note: Higher performance biofilter system leave less BOD in the water
and seem to prevent sludge fly problems.

---