RESEARCH ASSOCIATE

Pollier, Robin Robin.Pollier at umassmed.edu
Fri Mar 21 15:34:13 EST 2003

************************************
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE   ** JOB CODE: 4GFE **

The University of Massachusetts Medical School has the following
opening in our Gene Function & Expression Departement:

GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:

Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, will manage and
supervise the care, maintenance and husbandry of mutant and
transgenic
zebrafish lines.

MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:

Responsible for independently managing a zebrafish facility.
Responsible for the maintenance of mutant and transgenic zebrafish
lines. Assist PI in the establishment, maintenance and backup of fish
facility databases. Isolate and purify DNA from zebrafish embryos and
adult finclips. Perform polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to identify
mutant or transgenic carrier zebrafish Identify mutant or transgenic
carriers by crossing and phenotypic scoring of resulting embryos.
Perform microinjection of DNA constructs into zebrafish embryos to
establish stable transgenic lines. Perform techniques for
cryopreservation of mutant or transgenic zebrafish lines. Perform in
vitro fertilization using adult zebrafish. Assists PI in preparation
and renewal of animal protocols. Complies with all safety and
infection control standards appropriate to this position. Performs
other duties as required.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:

1.Knowledge/Experience: Bachelors degree in Biology, Fisheries
Science, or Aquaculture and 1 years relevant research in the field.
2.Skills: Knowledge of genetics, cell biology and molecular biology.
Proficient computer skills. Management /training skills. Ability to
interact with departmental and institutional offices.

ABOUT UMMS:

At the University of Massachusetts Medical School, we take seriously
our mission to serve the people of Massachusetts. We do this by
achieving national distinction in health sciences education, research
and public service. The University of Massachusetts Medical School's
(UMMS) educational mission stems from its founding in 1962 to
provide affordable, high-quality medical education to qualified residents
of the commonwealth. With that goal as its cornerstone, UMMS'
educational mission has expanded to include residency and fellowship
training, graduate education in nursing and the biomedical sciences,
training in allied health professions, and continuing education for health
care practitioners. In the area of research, UMMS has achieved world-
class status. Research is conducted in the laboratory, ambulatory clinic
and at the bedside, contributing significantly to medical science and to
the state's economy, as well as enhancing our ability to attract
outstanding faculty members for all three schools. Extramural research
funding totals over $100 million, placing UMMS in the top 40 among
the nation's medical schools in funding.

TO APPLY: Please include job code: 4GFE when applying

Email:  resumes directly to Nathan.Lawson at umassmed.edu and/or
resumes at jobs-umassmed.org

Mail your scannable resume to:

Human Resources
419 Belmont Street
Worcester MA 01604

UMMS is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the
workplace. UMMS does not accept unsolicited Agency resumes and
will not pay fees to any 3rd party agency or firm that does not have a
signed "UMMS Agency fee Agreement".