effect of a salinity spike on 30 day old

Mike Kacergis kacergis at box-k.nih.gov
Thu May 29 09:59:58 EST 2003

Wondering if any one would care to speculate

First:
Tuesday we increased the facility's salinity from from 1000 ms to 2000
ms over the course of about 3 hours. This was done in an effort to
reduce a mysterious die off of adults. Wednesday we had four tanks of
30 day fry die. All fry were healthy during the morning feeding and
found dead at 2:30pm. These tanks were all housed on a single shelf
with a common water supply. Oddly enough adjacent tanks of siblings
remain healthy. One strain was an ENU F3 and the other was an HuC
YFP line in an albino background. Has anyone seen similar fry die offs
associated with salinity spikes? Even after 12+ hours in the same tank
the morts have no visible parasites (ciliated protozoans) consuming the
carcasses. But as expected they are well on their way to autolysis.

Second:
We are trying to formulate a broad spectrum treatment targeting
parasites and bacteria, probably formalin-based,  tank-by-tank based
and off system. It was suggested in house that formalin is useful as a
broad spectrum treatment for bacteria, fungus, and parasites. Does
anyone in the zebrafish community have any experience treating adults
fish with formalin either as a dip or an immersion bath?  If so I'd be
very interested in any successful applications and what concentration
were used.

Mike

--
Michael Kacergis