2005 West Coast Zebrafish Meeting

Sherry Giglia giglias at uoneuro.uoregon.edu
Thu Dec 16 02:11:00 EST 2004

Dear Zebrafish Community,

This is an announcement for the Third Biennial West Coast Zebrafish
Meeting, to be held September 9-10, 2005 at the University of Oregon in
Eugene. Following the tradition of successful meetings held in Seattle  in
2001 and Salt Lake City in 2003, we look forward to hosting another  great
conference. Please mark your calendar! These dates do not overlap  with
the SDB meeting, the European Zebrafish Meeting, or the Woods Hole
Zebrafish Course and early September is a beautiful time of year to  visit
Oregon.

The fish labs here in Eugene (Cresko, Darimont, Eisen, Guillemin,  Kimmel,
Postlethwait, Varga, Washbourne, and Westerfield) would be  delighted to
have you and your lab come and visit. While we anticipate  that most
attendees will be from the West Coast, everyone is welcome,  and we hope
that many U of O alumni will use this meeting as an
opportunity to visit their old stomping grounds and reunite with
friends.

Our intent is to have a fun, informal, and interactive meeting. We hope
to attract researchers in all areas of zebrafish biology, as well as
those working in related systems such as stickleback and medaka. We are
particularly interested in providing a forum for graduate students and
postdocs to present their work and to promote more discussion than is
sometimes possible in the packed schedule of larger meetings. We also
intend to keep this meeting affordable. There are direct flights from
many West Coast cities to Eugene. Cheaper fares can sometimes be
obtained by flying into Portland, which is an hour and 45 minute drive
from Eugene. Rooms will be available at several motels in easy walking
distance of the conference for ~$80/double occupancy. We expect that
registration fees will be in the range of ~$150, which will include all
meals during the conference (two breakfasts, two lunches, and two
dinners) as well as coffee breaks and refreshments at the opening
reception. We encourage people to stay over the weekend and will have
planned outdoor activities for Sunday.

We hope that you will join us for the Third Biennial West Coast
Zebrafish Meeting and we ask that you spread the word to other
colleagues who might be interested. By the first of May we will post
information about registration and abstract submission on our meeting
website (give the URL here). In the meantime, please feel free to email
with comments, questions, or suggestions to: wczm at uoneuro.uoregon.edu.

See you in Eugene,

Karen Guillemin and Phil Washbourne