Graduate student position

Arindam Majumdar Arindam.Majumdar at mbb.ki.se
Thu Feb 5 14:08:47 EST 2004

Graduate Student
(Karolinska Institutet)

Highly motivated individuals are invited to apply for a graduate student
appointment in the Division of Matrix Biology (MBB) at the Karolinska
Institute, Stockholm, Sweden.  Our research group is interested in the
developmental signals that control growth and differentiation during
vertebrate kidney organogenesis.  Because the nephron is the
functional unit of the kidney and the pathophysiological site of human
kidney diseases, including glomerular pathologies, we have
concentrated our research efforts on identifying the molecular/genetic
regulation of nephron formation. Topics of investigation include
nephron segmentation, tubulogenesis, and glomerular morphogenesis.
Our lab is using the zebrafish embryonic kidney or pronephros as a
model system for investigating kidney organogenesis due to several
experimental advantages including anatomical simplicity, rapid
development, and the ease plus detail of visualization using molecular
probes. The zebrafish pronephros system is amenable to genetic
analysis, and mutants have been informative for identifying important
genes and cellular interactions during pronephric organogenesis
(Development, 125, pp. 4655-67, 1998; Dev Gen., 24, pp. 220-29,
1999; Dev. Biol. 222, pp. 147-57, 2000).  The zebrafish mutant no
isthmus (noi) contains a mutation in the transcription factor Pax2.1 and
is associated with pleiotrophic defects including those affecting
pronephric development.  During pronephric organogenesis,
pronephric tubules do not form in noi mutants due to problems in
patterning of the nephric primordium (Development, 127, pp. 2089-98,
2000).  We are using the noi mutant as an entrance point into
investigating the genetic pathways that cooperate with Pax2.1 to
regulate nephron segmentation and renal tubular differentiation.  In
related projects, we are using the zebrafish pronephric system to study
the gene function in glomerular maturation and function.  Experimental
approaches involve genetic screens, antisense morpholino technology,
microarrays, and transgenesis.

Research will be conducted in the new Karolinska Institutet Zebrafish
Facility and   the Division of Matrix Biology, both located in the
Scheelelaboratoriet on the Karolinska Institutet (Solna) campus.
Located close to the Stockholm city center, the Karolinska Institutet is
one of Europe's largest medical universities and has strong and
dynamic graduate student research programs in the basic and clinical
sciences.

Research will be conducted in pursuit of a doctoral degree in
Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology.  KI provides an
international environment encouraging collaboration and scientific
interaction.  Interested applicants should have an interest in kidney
organogenesis and prior research experience. Please send complete
applications including cover letter, CV, and contact information for
three references to:

Arindam Majumdar, PhD
Division of Matrix Biology
Deptartment of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics
Karolinska Institutet
Scheeles v=E4g 2
SE-171 77 Stockholm
Sweden