Post-doctoral Scientist

Arindam Majumdar Arindam.Majumdar at mbb.ki.se
Tue Jan 27 12:51:19 EST 2004

Post-doctoral Scientist
(Karolinska Institutet)

Highly motivated individuals are invited to apply for a post-doctoral
scientist appointment in the Division of Matrix Biology (MBB) at the
Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden.  Our research group is
interested in the developmental signals that control growth and
differentiation during vertebrate kidney organogenesis.  Because the
nephron is the functional unit of the kidney and the pathophysiological
site of human kidney diseases, inclu ding glomerular pathologies, we
have concentrated our research efforts on identifying the
molecular/genetic regulation of nephron formation. Topics of
investigation include nephron segmentation, tubulogenesis, and
glomerular morphogenesis. Our lab is using the zebrafish embryonic
kidney or pronephros as a model system for investigating kidney
organogenesis due to several experimental advantages including
anatomical simplicity, rapid development, and the ease plus detail of
visualization using molecular probes. The zebrafish pronephros system
is amenable to genetic analysis, and mutants have been informative
for identifying important genes and cellular interactions during
pronephric organogenesis (Development, 125, pp. 4655-67, 1998; Dev
Gen., 24, pp. 220-29, 1999; Dev. Biol. 222, pp. 147-57, 2000).  The
zebrafish mutant no isthmus (noi) contains a mutation in the
transcription factor Pax2.1 and is associated with pleiotrophic defects
including those affecting pronephric deve lopment.  During pronephric
organogenesis, pronephric tubules do not form in noi mutants due to
problems in patterning of the nephric primordium (Development, 127,
pp. 2089-98, 2000).  We are using the noi mutant as an entrance point
into investigating the genetic pathways that cooperate with Pax2.1 to
regulate nephron segmentation and renal tubular differentiation.  In
related projects, we are using the zebrafish pronephric system to study
the gene function in glomerular maturation and function.  Experimental
approaches involve genetic screens, antisense morpholino technology,
microarrays, and transgenesis.   Research will be conducted in the
new Karolinska Institutet Zebrafish Facility and   the Division of Matrix
Biology, both located in the Scheelelaboratoriet on the Karolinska
Institutet (Solna) campus.  Located close to the Stockholm city center,
the Karolinska Institutet is one of Europe=92s largest medical universitie=
and has strong and dynamic research programs in th e basic and
clinical sciences.  KI provides an international environment
encouraging collaboration and scientific interaction.  Interested
applicants should have an interest in kidney organogenesis and prior
research experience in molecular and developmental biology. Review
of appllications will begin March 1st, 2004.  Please send complete
applications including cover letter, CV, and contact information for
three references to:

Arindam Majumdar, PhD
Division of Matrix Biology
Deptartment of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics
Karolinska Institutet
Scheeles v=E4g 2
SE-171 77 Stockholm
Sweden