possible microsporidiosis infection

Jen Matthews jmatthews at zfin.org
Tue Jul 20 10:29:00 EST 2004

Hi Jeff,
Sorry for my delay in responding. I have been out of the office. I   would
recommend confirming a diagnosis before treating anything.
Microsporidiosis is a common finding in zebrafish but it typically only
causes significant disease in fish that are immunocompromised from
stress or other causes. Fumagillin treatment in zebrafish at this time
would be considered  experimental. Bleaching embryos at 35-50 ppm   sodium
hypochlorite and removal of any sick or skinny fish from your   system is
currently recommended for control. UV exposure also appears   to decrease
spore infectivity and spreading of the disease. Make sure   your UV
sterilizer is sized properly for your system and routinely   maintained.
Let me know if you have questions or are interested in   pathology
services. very best, -Jen

Jennifer L. Matthews, DVM, PhD
Zebrafish International Resource Center
5274 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5274     <(()><
(541) 346-6028 ext. 14             <(()><
Fax (541) 346-6151
jmatthews at zfin.org

On Wednesday, July 7, 2004, at 08:37  AM, Jeffrey Hannah wrote:

---

> I think some of my fish (Danio rerio) may have contracted
> microsporidiosis.  Most appear healthy, but once they exhibit the
symptoms: lethargy and swimming in a disoriented manner, they soon die
afterwards.  It has been steadily killing them off over the past few
weeks.  I have spared a few of the healthy looking fish and euthanized
the
> rest of them.  From what I've read about it, it seems like a pretty   nasty
> and tenacious disease.  Fumagillin is the recommended treatment, but I
can't seem to find any distributors that carry it.  Do you know of any?
>   Also, I'd like to breed some if possible.  However, since the
> parasite
> may evade bleaching by hiding inside the eggs, what would you recommend
to avoid transmission to the offspring?  I was planning to bleach the
eggs, then, once hatched, treat them with fumagillin.  Would the
fumagillin be harmful to young fish? As for the adults, since the
parasite is often present in healthy-looking fish, should I separate
each fish to its own tank?   Any advice would help.
>   -Jeff Hannah

---