Looking for supplier

Thu Oct 28 11:52:00 EST 2004

Peter,

It is interesting that the ZM web site states that their diets are good
for 6 to 9 months when most of the high quality commercial aquaculture
diets seem to be 3 months shelf life.  Notice, they also recommend
rotifers for the first 10 days.

I also find it interesting that zebra fish are a major research animal
where the NIH and others are spending a lot of money on research and there
is no basic dietary information.  We know far more about the dietary
requirements of all aquaculture species and most "want to be" aquaculture
species.

Everyone is making an assumption that the dietary history of the animal
won't impact the research results.  However, we do know that diet does
impact fecundity, fertility and larva viability on zebra fish. just like
other species of fish/shrimp.

I know my diets for zebra fish are an educated guess at the nutritional
requirements and not optimal, just workable.  I do know that diets age
will impact fertility and that leutine pigment in the diet will make the
males easier to sex (yellow fins).

If you do a literature search on zebra nutrition, about the only relevant
things you come up with is some work on Boron and the work by Landon on
larval diets.  This is relative to journals devoted to fish/shrimp
nutrition for all other species.

I believe that it is time for NIH to step up and fund some actual
nutritional research on this animal.  There are a lot of good aquaculture
nutritional researchers who have worked out the details on other species
that could do the job, but they are part of aquaculture research not
normal NIH researchers.

Dallas

in article clk6mm$nm2$1 at mercury.rfcgr.mrc.ac.uk, Peter Cattin at
p.cattin at auckland.ac.nz wrote on 10/25/04 5:45 PM:

>> Hi Sharon,
>>
>> I have spent a lot of time reviewing feeds over the past 6 years.  I
> have not been able to source feed from BioKyowa for a number of years
but a better alternative is ZM Ltd in the UK who make a feed
> specifically for zebrafish.  Their website is www.zmsystems.demon.co.uk
.  Speak to Rohan there and I am sure you will be pleased with the
product.  You will need
> ZM
>> 200 and 300 for the juveniles and adults respectively and ZM 000 for the
> fry.  Artemia International at www.artemia-international.com/ is
excellent as a source  of Artemia.

>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter