ZF RNA Extraction

Melissa Haendel mhaendel at uoneuro.uoregon.edu
Wed Apr 6 09:47:00 EST 2005

Hi Marc,
The Invitrogen TRIZOL reagent has worked very well for me in the past.  I
would try using a much larger number of embryos and follow the guidelines
for volume and mass (weigh a hundred embryos, for example, and use the
appropriate volume).  Also, are you using an electric tissue homogenizer?
This really improves the yield as well.

Melissa Haendel
ZFIN curation staff

> Hi again all,
>
> Could anyone advise me on a protocol for extracting RNA from zebrafish
embryos.

> I am using the small-scale SIGMA TRIZOL reagent protocol and i am
getting very poor results.  I usually de-corionate then isolate the RNA
in batches of ~20 embryos (0-24 hrs) and batches of 10 for 48 (hrs).

> The yields are very poor, and the quality (in terms of ibosomal RNA) is
also poor.

> If anyone uses this method or another method of RNA extraction i would
like to hear from them.

> Cheers
>
> Mark
>
> ---