ZF RNA Extraction

Georg Otto georg.otto at tuebingen.mpg.de
Wed Apr 6 10:34:00 EST 2005

Mark,

you did not specify what you consider "poor results". What is the yield
and purity?

We use Trizol reagent from Invitrogen and have a yield of at least 0.5
ug total RNA per 48 hpf embryo. If you are interested, I can send you
our protocol.

Be also aware that you have to do UV-measurements of RNA in buffer (pH
7.4-8) to get consistent results.

Georg

On Wednesday, April 6, 2005, at 08:45 AM, marc wrote:

---

> Hi again all,
>
> Could anyone advise me on a protocol for extracting RNA from zebrafish
embryos.

> I am using the small-scale SIGMA TRIZOL reagent protocol and i am
getting very poor results.  I usually de-corionate then isolate the
RNA in
> batches of ~20 embryos (0-24 hrs) and batches of 10 for 48 (hrs).
>
> The yields are very poor, and the quality (in terms of ibosomal RNA) is
also poor.

> If anyone uses this method or another method of RNA extraction i would
like to hear from them.

> Cheers
>
> Mark
>
> ---