question about zebrafish

Ledford, Jonathan J jonathan.j.ledford at Vanderbilt.Edu
Wed Jan 19 20:20:19 EST 2005

I had a question posed to me by an investigator:

At what point does a zebrafish embryo become an animal?

For instance, the Blue Book says that at 24 hpf (hours post
fertilization) that embryos are responsive to touch signaling the
presence of neuromuscular connections.  It also says that zebrafish hatch
from their chorion on day 3 or 4.  If we have an investigator who wants to
introduce drug and score the embryonic development for up to 120 hrs, at
what point is this no longer in

vitro work?  Especially if they begin to hatch at 72 hours?

I'm not positive about this one.  Can someone please help?

Thanks,

Jon

Jon Ledford

Senior Supervisor