Zebrafish Protocols/Techniques

Tara Gupta happytaragirl at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 12:22:00 EST 2005

I really must recommend the MBL Zebrafish Course (see Lenny Dawidowicz
posting from Jan 11).  While a bit expensive and competitive, it is
entirely worth it, especially for people trying to set up a zfish
component for an established lab.  I'm the loner zfish person in my lab,
and this course brought my skill level and productivity up 100%. Plus, the
zfish instructors are not only top-notch researchers, but wonderful people
to learn from.  The student pool is from all over the world.  And if you
don't get in, try again (I did!).
Cheers,
Tara

_________________________
Tara Gupta, Ph.D.
University of Washington
Seattle, WA  98195

marc at carl39.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
> Hello
> I am a 2nd year PhD student in the Institute for Cell & Molecular
Biosciences, University of Newcastle Upon Tyne.  My research involves
the
> characterization of natural antisense transcripts.  We are looking at
the
> zebrafish sodium-phosphate co-transporter in zebrafish as a model
system.

> We have a functional zebrafish facility at the institute, but we are
lacking experience in or lab of working with zebrafish embryos, and
cannot
> monopolize the time of the other researchers using the facility.
>
> I was wondering if anyone could offer me some of their time in the
near
> future to show me around their lab and allow me to observe/try some
general techniques and ask lot of questions.

> The techniques that I am most interested in are i) zebrafish embryo
manipulation/maintenance; ii) in-situ hybridization; iii)
> micro-injection of embryos.
>
> I am prepared to travel to anyway in the UK.
> Any help would be gratefully received.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark Carlile
>
> ---