[Zbrafish] zebrafish diseases

Val Smith vsmith at ku.edu
Tue Jul 5 16:34:18 EST 2005

Dear colleagues:

This summer I have an NSF REU (Research Experiences for
Undergraduates) student working with me on the effects of
environmental conditions on fish disease.  We are using the zebrafish
as a model host organism, and have been trying without success to use
the protozoan parasite Ichthyophthirius ("Ick") as the model
pathogen.  We infer that our fish may have been previously exposed to
this pathogen, conferring resistance.

Is there anyone working on zebrafish disease who might be able to
send us an alternate (and human-safe) pathogen for my student to use
in her summer project?  Thanks for your help!

Best regards,
Val H. Smith
University of Kansas

Val H. Smith