breeding the old fashion way

Leslie Day l.day at neu.edu
Sun May 15 12:12:00 EST 2005

For the past couple of months our zebrafish have not been breeding very
well, if at all. Most of the fish are less than a year old. Our system is
a little archaic, 10 gallon tanks with whisper filters on the side. We
placed marbles at the bottom of the tanks and collect eggs by suction in
the morning 1-2 hours after lights come on. I am not really sure if the
breeding problem is the water conditions or the fish themselves.

The water we use is instant ocean mixed with DI (2.4g/20L). We add in some
Kent pH stable (mostly bicarb) to maintain a pH of 6.5 - 7.0. Is that too
low?  The nitrate levels are very low. I am not sure what the conductivity
is supposed to be or how to adjust if it is not in a good range.  Anything
else I should be testing for?

I must admit I am a bit of a novice and any help to decipher why the fish
are not breeding would be greatly appreciated.

Much appreciated.

Leslie Day

Biology Dept.

Northeastern University