[Zbrafish] zebrafish disease

swarvegorilla via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by fatcatfish At optusnet.com.au)
Wed Dec 13 05:33:56 EST 2006

"christian lawrence" <clawrence At rics.bwh.harvard.edu> wrote in message
news:mailman.21.1162574718.14439.zbrafish At net.bio.net...
> The veterinarians that monitor the list will no doubt have more informed
> and
> complete recommendations, especially with regards to diagnosis and
> medications, but in general, I would euthanize every one of the fish you
> got
> from the market, every fish that came in contact with them, and completely
> sterilize everything they touched and start again.
>
> If this is not an option, I would:
> 1. Make sure your h2o quality is good and stable.  Ammonia and nitrites
> need
> to be zero, and nitrates low.  pH should be stable, ideally around 7.

A few chunks of coral/shellgrit/marble will help here if your water is much
more acid

> 2. Kill everything that looks sick.  Aggressive culling is very important.

Take the chance to chuck a chunk of gill under a microscope.
Don't waste these sick fish!! Learn whats going down!
Sacrificial fish can tell 1000 times more than a dead one.

> 3. Cut back on the feeding.  Feed clean live food (i.e. Artemia from
> decapsulated cysts) once a day or once every other day.

spirulina flakes is another very concentrated food that works well (just
expensive)

> 4. Lower the temperature. Slowly.  22-24 is fine if you acclimate them.
> 5. Raise the conductivity of your water.  Again, not all at once.  For
> example, if it is 500 uS, then bring it to 1000 over a week or so.
> Raising
> this parameter is especially important if your maintenance conductivities
> are below 500uS.
> 6. Don't handle the fish. No breeding, no disturbance.
>
> When things stabilize, you can start to add more feeding, raise temp, and
> start to breed them again.   Keeping at elevated conductivities is
> probably
> not a bad idea.   But when you think things are stable, start to bring
> things back into operation slowly and carefully.  And avoid introducing
> fish
> from an outside source directly into your facility in the future.

at very least quarantine them in a tank outside the system for 2 weeks

> Good luck,
> Chris

just echo that good luck there
altho I am not a fan of full on steralisations
Chris has the plan!
I'd dose with a white spot med (prob just common parasite out of control in
the closed system)