[Zbrafish] Inexpensive alternatives to the Ahab system?

Jones, Kevin (jonekv) jonekv at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Wed Jul 12 06:20:25 EST 2006

Hi All,

I am considering establishing a small zebrafish colony. I am familiar with the benchtop system offered by Ahab, but it is prohibitively expensive until I secure further funding. I am looking for less expensive options. Is anyone aware of a website or other reference that may be useful to me? I've read about high school students using recycled milk jugs to house fish, but I don't need to take that extreme of an approach. I am hoping to find an off the shelf system with a price that falls somewhere in between milk jugs and the Ahab system. Is it economically feasible to simply go to a local aquarium shop and have someone piece together a system for me?

Thanks in advance for all advice,
Kevin