[Zbrafish] Fungi in Zebrafish embryo

christian lawrence clawrence at rics.bwh.harvard.edu
Thu May 4 11:39:38 EST 2006

By "fish embryo culture", what do you mean exactly?  Eggs and newly hatched
larvae before they go on a system?  Your nursery?  Or your adult holding
system?  In any event, fungal contamination usually arises as a result of an
abundance (or overabundance of decaying organic matter.  Throw in warm
temperatures, and you have a very fungi-favorable environment. Typically, if
you reduce waste, you can go a long way to reduce fungal contaminations.

Other issues play into it as well.  If the fungus is attacking embryos and
larvae - or even adults, you should consider that fish of poorer quality,
whether or not this comes about as a result of bad genetics, unfavorable
environment, poor diet or a combination of those factors, are also less able
to fight off infestations.

Hence, the rampant use of methylene blue in many zebrafish culture
facilities.   There is no need for such an additive if your fish are robust
(and you are not deliberately manipulating them in some way that stresses
them, in which case it may be necessary).  So yes, I am suggesting that
either 1)conditions in many culture facilities that use m.b. are unfavorable
or 2) people use it for no reason aside from the pretty color and feeling of
security that it provides them.  But that is another issue for another
discussion.

Simple answer to complex question is if you reduce your waste input and
ensure that your husbandry is scientifically sound, you should not have to
worry much about fungus.

Christian Lawrence
Brigham and Women's Hospital
Karp Family Research Laboratories 06-004B
One Blackfan Circle
Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Tel: 617.355.9041
Fax: 617.355.9064