[Zbrafish] growing embryos

Michael Kacergis michael.kacergis at umassmed.edu
Mon May 22 10:19:44 EST 2006

Dikla,

Here at UMASS we use the Bluewater from the zebrafish book recipe
post injection as an anti-fungal. Sometimes we see some fungus but
its minimal at best.

Rinse the eggs throughly in a plastic tea strainer with a squirt
bottle to get the majority of the detritus off the eggs prior to
injection.

Be sure the material you inject on is clean. We use 3% Agarose and 1%
glycerol to make the injection plates using molds available from
Adaptive Science Tools (774) 239-6133.

The embryos are cleaned  several hours post injection, removing any
unfertilized eggs as their presence and decay will directly impact
the survival of other embryos in the dish

Hope this helps,

Mike

On May 21, 2006, at 6:17 AM, Dikla Yahav wrote:

> Hello every body
> I work with zbrafish embryos and I have a little problem. Recently,
> after injecting the embryos with no matter what, they tend to get
> fungi. I although that it might be because I grow them in the
> system water instead of embryo water. can any one recommend or tell
> me how they grow their embryos except of what's written in the fish
> book? any thing will be blest
> Thanks
> Dikla

   Michael C. Kacergis
   U Mass Medical
   Program in Gene Function and Expression (PGFE)
   364 Plantation St.
   LRB 670Q
   Worcester, MA 01605

   email: Michael.Kacergis at Umassmed.edu