[Zbrafish] zebrafish disease

christian lawrence via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by clawrence At rics.bwh.harvard.edu)
Fri Nov 3 12:20:31 EST 2006

The veterinarians that monitor the list will no doubt have more informed and
complete recommendations, especially with regards to diagnosis and
medications, but in general, I would euthanize every one of the fish you got
from the market, every fish that came in contact with them, and completely
sterilize everything they touched and start again.

If this is not an option, I would:
1. Make sure your h2o quality is good and stable.  Ammonia and nitrites need
to be zero, and nitrates low.  pH should be stable, ideally around 7.
2. Kill everything that looks sick.  Aggressive culling is very important.
3. Cut back on the feeding.  Feed clean live food (i.e. Artemia from
decapsulated cysts) once a day or once every other day.
4. Lower the temperature. Slowly.  22-24 is fine if you acclimate them.
5. Raise the conductivity of your water.  Again, not all at once.  For
example, if it is 500 uS, then bring it to 1000 over a week or so.  Raising
this parameter is especially important if your maintenance conductivities
are below 500uS.
6. Don't handle the fish. No breeding, no disturbance.

When things stabilize, you can start to add more feeding, raise temp, and
start to breed them again.   Keeping at elevated conductivities is probably
not a bad idea.   But when you think things are stable, start to bring
things back into operation slowly and carefully.  And avoid introducing fish
from an outside source directly into your facility in the future.

Good luck,
Chris

Christian Lawrence
Brigham and Women's Hospital
Karp Family Research Laboratories 06-004B
One Blackfan Circle
Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Tel: 617.355.9041
Fax: 617.355.9064