[Zbrafish] Help needed with Fish room practices

Judy Bennett via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by jbennett at bio.umass.edu)
Fri Oct 6 13:46:31 EST 2006

Hi Becky,

We have three separate fish rooms on campus, one of which is located next
to a mouse/hamster facility.  I do all the maintenance and train the lab
folks and work study students to help with various chores.  Typically the
only input we have from our regulatory body (IACUC) is a walk through
inspection once or twice a year.  The University's IACUC membership
includes two veterinarians (a local practitioner with research and
laboratory animal care experience, and the Campus Veterinarian), one
non-affiliated member from the local community, two non-scientists, the
Director of Animal Care, and eight scientists/faculty members who conduct
research and teach.  We have never had any problems with any of our
inspections and I hope to keep it that way.  The only requirement they have
is to make sure anyone who is working with the fish attend an Animal Care
Training class.

We do not require special clothing (lab coats, booties) in the fish
facilities, but do use a disinfectant foot bath in one of them.

We also use the Fisher tape, and after a while it may leave a residue we
just have to scrub off.

Rust hasn't been much of a concern, although we have a little here and
there- mostly superficial and easily removed with a scrub pad and elbow
grease.   We were told chloride is the only thing that could cause
stainless to rust...

As far as chemical fumes, we haven't had the need to paint and the only
other chemical we use is ethanol to disinfect our spawning grass.   I've
heard of people refraining from wearing heavy perfume/cologne as it may
affect the fish, but haven't seen any evidence of that happening.

Hope this helps,
Judy