[Zbrafish] multi-tank system - problems with fish survival

cosgood from odu.edu via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by cosgood from odu.edu)
Mon Oct 23 13:32:32 EST 2006

Hello! I know many labs using multi-tanks systems - we recently
purchased ours from Aquatic Ecosystems. Unfortunately, our problems
began almost as soon as we transfered our first, originally kept in
stand alone glass aquaria, into their new homes. What we see is loss of
embryo viability - the vast majority die within 12-24h after collection
from a separate breeding tank.We think the problem is with the
multi-tank unit - the water pH runs low (@5), we have have levels of
ammonia and nitrates - and we see none of this problem with our
individual tanks. So something to do with the multi tank unit, whether
it's the pump system, the plastic used in the tanks or the reservior,
no clue. Has anyone out there had similar problems? More importantly,
how did you resolve your water quality issues? We've not had much luck
in getting useful advice from Aquatic Ecosystems. I'm hoping the zfish
community will be able to suggest some approaches we could try out.
Resolving the pH problem is probably the simplest issue, but it is a
puzzle that we don't see the problem in stand alone tanks!
Thx for your time - Chris