[Zbrafish] Zebrafish variation

tsc202 at exeter.ac.uk tsc202 at exeter.ac.uk
Fri Sep 15 05:24:19 EST 2006

Hi,

I am currently conducting a PhD at the University of Exeter, looking at
the population level impacts of endocrine disruption in fish. Part of this
work involves some parentage analyses, for which we are using
microsatellites.

We have recently encountered a problem however, as the current strain we
have in the lab (WIK strain) has a very low level of variation, with
typically only 4-6 alleles per microsatellite locus. As a result, the
experiments that we can conduct are somewhat constrained.

I'm hoping that someone will have access to a strain of zebrafish with
significantly more variation. This will probably mean the fish are either
wild caught, or only a couple of generations removed and have not been
bred through a bottleneck, as seems to be the case for most lab strains
used in the field.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Best wishes, Toby Coe