[Zbrafish] Re: rescue swim bladder

spatterson from wesleyan.edu via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by spatterson from wesleyan.edu)
Wed Apr 18 08:08:02 EST 2007

On Apr 17, 6:33 pm, Cristian Canestro <crist... from uoregon.edu> wrote:
> Many developmental defects in zebrafish end up in the absence of
> inflated swim bladder.
> Does anybody know about any case in which this phenotype had been
> successfully rescued? by  mRNA injection of any particular gene, or by
> using special feeding or drugs ...  (?)
> Thanks in advanced
> Cristian

Hi Cristian,
I'm not an expert on swim bladder inflation, but I think that the
reason that many mutants have swim bladder inflation problems is
because they physically can't make it to the surface of the water to
inflate it. There is a paper on the function of the air/water
interface in swim bladder inflation in zebrafish by Goolish and
Okutake from 1999. I can't think of any specific way to rescue this,
without rescuing the function of the mutated gene.
--Sara