[Zbrafish] Working schedule for mid- to late- somite stage study

Burdine, Rebecca D via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by rburdine from Princeton.EDU)
Thu Apr 26 14:49:50 EST 2007

Hi Tony,

I have a few suggestions.

1. Do you have access to a light cycle cabinet?  If so you can put some
fish on a different cycle and arrange it so you are injecting at night
and collecting in the morning.

2. I assume the answer to 1 is no, so what we do it inject, raise to
shield stage at 28 degrees, then shift the embryos to 25 degrees
overnight.  The next morning they are usually around 14-16 somites (our
lights come on at 9am).  If you do this, you must make sure that the
cool down doesn't affect the process you are studying in wildtypes.  We
find it is healthier for the embryos to wait until epiboly is well
underway before the shift.  You just have to see how your fish and your
environment work with this idea.

3. Separate the males and females and put them together a bit later.
You can put them together around 11am, inject then, and do the cool
down.

Good luck,
Becky

Rebecca D. Burdine, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Molecular Biology
Princeton University
Washington Road Mof 433
Princeton, NJ 08544

Phone: (609) 258-7515
Fax: (609) 258-1343
Email: rburdine from princeton.edu
Admin Assistant: Cathy Falk (609) 258-1604