[Zbrafish] Variable number of zebrafisch somites?

Jan Gebauer via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by jan.gebauer from uni-koeln.de)
Thu Aug 23 12:38:09 EST 2007

Hello,

I found the following paragraph in Kimmel et al. (1995) Dev. Dyn. 203
p.253-310:

[Somite formation in zebrafish]
The last somites of the series form more slowly than the others (not shown
in the idealized curve of Fig. 181), and the total number that eventually
forms is variable,
  from 30 to 34 pairs.

Does anyone know what they mean with "variable"?

Variable between strains? ... or individuals of single strain?
How is it regulated? ...genetically? or by the environment? or just by
coincidence?

I actually never counted the somites of our adults... Probably I should,
but perhaps someone knows the answer.

Thanks for any hints...

Best,
Jan

--
Jan Gebauer  <Jan.Gebauer from Uni-Koeln.de>
Ph.D. student funded by the IGS-GFG Cologne

University of Cologne, Medical Faculty
Research group: Dr. Raimund Wagener
Head of Department: Prof. Mats Paulsson

Institute for Biochemistry II, Joseph-Stelzmann-Strasse 52, D50931 Cologne

++ Second Student Organised Conference of the IGS-GFG +++
++++ Have a look at: http://crossroads.uni-koeln.de/ ++++