[Zbrafish] Dishwashers

Lawrence, Christian via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by Christian.Lawrence from childrens.harvard.edu)
Fri Aug 24 06:28:22 EST 2007

Hi,
We (and several other facilities here at Children's Hospital Boston) use
a "Steamscrubber" by Labconco, which I guess could be classified as a
basic undercounter industrial type washer.  We run everything through
these at either low or high heat modes; the polycarbonate tanks are
washed at "high".  I do not know the temperature or duration of these
cycles.   We do not use soap, but instead use a bit of bleach (10-20
mls) in each cycle.  I assume one could use Clidox in the same fashion.
The bleach does seem to corrode (if that is the right word) some of the
components of the units, but only after many, many cycles.

I also know that in some aquaculture facilities, powdered Alconox is
used to clean glassware and plastics.

Christian Lawrence
Brigham and Women's Hospital
Karp Family Research Laboratories 06-004B
One Blackfan Circle
Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Tel: 617.355.9041
Fax: 617.355.9064